Mansfield University 2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]
Offered by the Department of Music
The Mansfield University Department of Music provides an environment that promotes academic, musical and personal growth as well as intellectual, ethical and aesthetic values. The department serves the regional, national and international communities by developing human and material resources. The department of music is committed to stimulating a continuous pursuit of knowledge, understanding and skills by students and faculty.
The Music Department offers the following degree programs: The Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree with a major in Music, the Bachelor of Music (BM) degree with a major in Music Education, and the Bachelor of Music (BM) degree with three concentrations: Music Performance, Music Business, and Music Technology. Please refer to the department website (http://music.mansfield.edu) for audition information and other entrance requirements.
The Music Department is an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM), 11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21, Reston, VA 20190-5248, (703) 437-0700, nasm.arts-accredit.org/.
The Music Department offers a Music minor for students in other majors with appropriate interest and aptitude. A live audition is required for admission to this program.
- Provide a basic understanding of the concepts, processes, skills, and techniques used in the field of music engagement and performance.
- Offer an area of study, complementary to many non-music major fields of study, which will add a breadth and depth of perspective.
- Give Mansfield University graduates a broader level of understanding and the resources to think creatively and divergently, and act as conceptual problem solvers.
- Primary Instrument / Voice Students will perform effectively and musically on their primary performance area. This will include proficiency in skills requisite for artistic self-expression.
- Harmonic Analysis Students will utilize analytic techniques to effectively describe the large and small-scale structures of music in such a way as to reveal relevant and important information about the score.
- Ensembles Students will perform in ensembles and be effective, musical and constructive members of musical groups.
- Composition Students will compose effective musical works that demonstrate an understanding of basic musical elements, including notation, form and harmonic coherence.
- Sight-Reading and Dictation Students will accurately sight-sing and take aural dictation. Students will improvise melodies, variations and accompaniments on instruments and voice.