Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certifications: Non-Degree and Undergraduate
The Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification options are designed for individuals holding baccalaureate degrees who desire to earn Pennsylvania Department of Education certification in the following areas:
Certification (Undergraduate) - Early Childhood Education (Grades PreK-4)
Certification (Undergraduate) - Early Childhood Education (Grades PreK-4) with Special Education added certification (Grades PreK-8)
Certification (Undergraduate) - English Education (Grades 7-12)
Certification (Undergraduate) - Earth and Space Science Education (Grades 7-12)
Certification (Undergraduate) - General Science Education (Grades 7-12 – see requirements below)
Certification (Undergraduate) - Mathematics Education (Grades 7-12)
Certification (Undergraduate) - Music Education (Grades PreK-12)
Certification (Undergraduate) - Special Education (Grades PreK-8 – see requirements below)
Certification (Undergraduate) - Social Studies: History Education (Grades 7-12)
The following stipulations apply to individuals seeking post-baccalaureate teacher certification:
- An applicant must have earned a bachelor’s degree (not necessarily in Education) to be eligible to enter one of these programs. The applicant must also have earned a 3.00 overall GPA or higher with the bachelor’s degree or a 3.00 overall GPA as calculated on the last 48 credits from the bachelor’s degree. An applicant not meeting these overall GPA requirements may enter as a non-degree seeking student. If the applicant reaches a 3.00 or higher overall GPA based on 12 credits completed as a non-degree student, the applicant may then apply for admission to a teacher certification program. A non-degree student can take introductory-level Education courses required for the certification program but cannot take upper division Education courses until fully accepted into the certification program.
- These programs do not lead to degrees. Upon completion of one of these programs, the student is eligible to apply for PDE certification in the given subject area.
- In addition to these certification programs, we also offer bachelor’s degrees (Bachelor of Science in Education or Bachelor of Music) in these areas: Early Childhood Education; Early Childhood Education with Special Education certification; Music Education; and Secondary Education with concentrations in Earth and Space Science, English, Mathematics, or Social Studies. Applicants can choose to complete one of these degree programs as a second degree student, or choose to complete the corresponding non-degree certification instead. A student must complete at least 30 credits at Mansfield after the first bachelor’s degree to earn the second degree. Student teaching and observation / participation courses do not count towards the 30 credits. If a student chooses to complete the post-baccalaureate certification and not a second bachelor’s degree, he or she needs to complete only those specific credits required for the certification program.
- An applicant must already possess a PDE Grades 7-12 certification in any subject area in order to enter the General Science Education certification program.
- An applicant must already possess a PDE Grades PreK-4, K-6, 4-8, or Pre-K-12 (not secondary) certification in order to enter the Special Education certification program.