Offered by the Department of Communication
Professor Young (chairperson)
Associate Professors Hoy, Wright
Assistant Professors Bernum, Jackson, McIntyre, Pieper
The Public Relations program prepares students for a career managing the communication between an organization and it publics. It provides students with a thorough understanding of how public relations functions within organizations. Students design and develop a variety of communication materials for specific audiences and gain experience by working with actual clients as they plan and implement a public relations campaign and event for a community organization. Qualified students are encouraged to participate in the Department’s successful internship program.
A public relations graduate may secure employment as a PR Firm Executive, PR Director, Publicist, or Special Events Planner in various industries such as Corporate, Education, Entertainment, Music, Nonprofit, Political, and Sports. Other public relations positions may be in the area of Advertising, Crisis Management, Marketing, Media or Community Relations, and Social Media. The Public Relations concentration provides an academic background to prepare students to work in a multifaceted field.
The mission of the Mass Communication program is to serve our students, Mansfield University and our region through academic, extracurricular and cultural activities that promote the development of communication competence, critical analysis, an ethical foundation, respect for diversity, an understanding for the importance of research and recognition of the value of service, thus preparing our students for careers in their chosen fields.
Qualified students are encouraged to participate in the Department’s successful internship program. The intern applicant must have 90 earned credits prior to the start of the internship, a 2.5 overall GPA and a 3.0 in the major to qualify. Internships may be completed for 6-12 credits for the internship experience. A student may only complete one internship experience for credit.
- To foster student’s knowledge in the theory, practice, and application of mass communication
- To develop and improve student’s written communication skills
- To encourage students to use ethical and critical thinking skills as they apply to communication and media contexts
- To develop and improve student’s proficiency in various technologies used in the field
- To provide opportunities that expose and connect students to professionals and MU alumni working in the communication field
- Public Relations majors will be able to develop appropriate communication material to target specific audiences and media.
- Public Relations majors will be able to evaluate an organization’s use of social media.
- Public Relations majors will be able to explain an organization’s public relations efforts and how the organization is portrayed in the media.