Offered by the Department of Geography and Geology
Professor Dodson (chairperson)
Associate Professor Demchak
Assistant Professor Kennedy, Kopf, Shears, Stocks
Instructors Dillon, Guignard, Dom, Wilson
Safety management is a critical component of all construction and industrial settings. This program provides students with basic knowledge and professional skills in safety science and management. Special attention is given to the safety of gas production worksites and related services. Students in this program receive the foundation in liberal studies associated with a college degree and specific professional preparation for managing work site safety. Coursework covers studies in areas as diverse as communication and leadership, the regulation of health and safety, and related environmental and watershed issues. Graduates will want to consider sitting for the examinations that lead to recognition as a Certified Safety Professional1.
The Mansfield BS Program in Safety Management will prepare graduates for:
- Professional careers in safety management serving the Marcellus and other industries or organizations.
- Entrance to the examination to qualify as a Certified Safety Professional.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Students completing Mansfield’s BS Program in Safety Management will be prepared to:
- Lead others in promoting safe work sites
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of professional safety managers
- Describe the major objectives and operational characteristics of the gas industry
- Identify and apply the relevant laws, standards, and regulations that affect personal and environmental safety
- Think critically about and react constructively to the safety management needs of Marcellus or other industrial worksite operations during both routine and emergency situations
- Describe the critical human factors that affect the safety of Marcellus and other industrial operations
- Communicate effectively regarding safety in various settings
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism and ethical decision making.
1Board of Certified Safety Professionals (http://www.bcsp.com/csp)