Offered by the Department of Geography and Geology
Professor Dodson (chairperson)
Associate Professor Demchak
Assistant Professors Kennedy, Kopf, Shears, Stocks
Instructors Dillon, Dom, Guignard, Wilson
The Earth and Space Science Education Program at Mansfield University is for students who enjoy science and plan to seek teacher certification. Most of our graduates are now teaching earth science and/or general science middle and high school students in Pennsylvania and New York schools. Students in this program take courses in the sciences and education and also spend one semester student teaching in two different public schools.
Diligent study and good grades are essential for successful completion of this program. To enter and stay in the program you must earn and hold a 3.0 grade point average for all courses taken at Mansfield. Then to earn teacher certification you must pass the national PAPA (general knowledge) and Praxis 2 (Earth Science knowledge) exams that will confirm your preparation for earth science teaching.
Many of our students earn a second certification in general science. We encourage all students to consider this second certification as it increases employment opportunities and can be obtained with minimal additional course work.
See The Teacher Education Certification Section in the University Policies section of this catalog for further details regarding admission to teacher certification candidacy and Pennsylvania certification requirements.
Students who successfully complete the Earth/Space Science program will be able to:
- demonstrate professional knowledge and skills on the PAPA and Praxis II examinations and in field placements.
- explain the dynamics of and interactions between the four basic components of the Earth’s physical system: atmosphere, lithosphere, biosphere and hydrosphere.
- explain the impact of human actions on the environment at local, regional and global scales.
- support and maintain positive classroom environments that are conducive to student learning.
- plan and prepare effective instruction that leads to student learning.
- use available technology effectively to enhance teaching and learning.
We are here to teach. Excellence in education is a priority for us. We pledge to provide a substantive, up-to-date curriculum for each of our programs. And we will ensure that our students graduate with practical, applied skills that supplement their more general knowledge base.
We are here to learn. Geography and geology are dynamic disciplines whose insights and techniques are continually changing. It is incumbent upon us to grow with our discipline.
We are here to serve. We serve students by providing a broad range of general education classes. We serve our majors by providing guidance and interaction in a supportive atmosphere. We serve the University by membership on committees and by advising student organizations. And we serve the community by providing input to local organizations and government agencies.